There are references to horse racing taking place in the Whitchurch area from the beginning of the eighteenth century until the middle of the nineteenth. Racing was originally on the flat and took place on Prees Heath, although there was not a designated race track. Generally the races were 2 or 3 day events, and depended upon local gentry to organise the event and fund the prizes. Find out more information here.
FRIDAY 7th & SATURDAY 8th SEPTEMBER
For the first time the town took part in National Heritage Open Days.
The three events were organised by Whitchurch Research, Archive & Cataloguing Team (WRACT).
Check out the slideshow at the bottom of the page
UPSTAIRS AT THE HERITAGE CENTRE – HISTORICAL TRANSPORT
Whitchurch Heritage Centre is a listed building constructed for use as a chapel in 1806. By the 1880’s it was an auction room, later becoming the town post office. In 1998 the ground floor became the Heritage Centre while the upper floor was let to private tenants to fund the running of the Heritage Centre. From the first floor windows the roofscape of the town could be viewed.
The displays were:-
Cycling (North Shropshire Wheelers)
Trains (London & North Western Railway Society)
Canals (Whitchurch Waterways Trust)
A continuous slide show of old transport photographs from Whitchurch History & Archaeology Group (WHAG) collection was shown.
ST ALKMUND’S CHURCH – CLIMBING THE TOWER
The climb took people past the ringing room and allowed a view of the Joyce’s clock mechanism and the church bells before reaching the roof. The top of the tower afforded a magnificent view of the surrounding countryside.
There was a display relating to Joyce’s clocks on the way up.
COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – WHITCHURCH WORKHOUSE
This event was an opportunity to join a guided tour to view the external parts of the workhouse still existing on the Whitchurch Community Hospital site. The House of Industry replaced an earlier property in Newtown which had been condemned by inspectors in 1791.
In addition there was a display of documents relating to the workhouse, which had been built in 1794.
[flagallery gid=20 name=Gallery]