Sarah Nottingham nee Worthington was the niece of Archibald Worthington and in her later years resided with him at ‘The Mount’.
After her uncle had established the Working Men’s Club on Castle Hill she paid for the building next door of a stewards house. Local people maintain she also organised for toilets to be erected to rid the town of the nuisance and offence caused by the men urinating outside the building.
In 1866 she had married John Nottingham, an eminent surgeon from Liverpool, and as his wife must have been aware of the public health issues of the times. For in 1891 she paid for the building of the Whitchurch Public Baths in Brownlow Street, shown below, and an adjacent house for the baths superintendent.
Six years later Mrs Nottingham gave a cast-iron bandstand for the town’s Jubilee Park. This was used for regular sunday afternoon concerts at the time.
Sarah Nottingham died at Whitchurch in 1903.