The volunteers who catalogue, archive, and conserve the Collection are also involved in Research Projects.
This is sometimes as a group, sometimes as individuals and sometimes in collaboration with Whitchurch History & Archaeology Group.
Current projects are :-
SALOP FIRE INSURANCE RECORDS
– extracting information on all Whitchurch policies
Mr James Joyce of Whitchurch in the County of Salop, Alemaker,
1. On his house, shop and brewhouse adjoining in his own occupation situate in the High Street in Whitchurch aforesaid. Timber and tiled.
2. House, shop and brewhouse adjoining in the tenure of Thomas Overton, grocer. Timber and tiled.
3. Two stables, a warehouse and granary under one roof near in the tenure of Mrs Cross, Innholder and the said Messrs. Overton and Joyce. Brick and tiled.
EDUCATION OF THE WHITCHURCH WORKING MAN 1850 – 1914
– identifying where evening classes were held in the town
– compiling list of all masters and apprentices from the wider Whitchurch area
Date Master’ s name Master’s abode Occupation
8/3/1711 George Simcoe Whitchurch, Salop Cordwainer
Apprentice’s name Apprentice’s father’s information
Robert Colley Richard Colley, yeoman of Wrenbury, Cheshire
– using the Bridgwater Estate papers to identify who was living in the centre of Whitchurch during the 17th & 18th centuries.
If you are interested in joining one of the research projects please contact us.
No previous research experience necessary.