Whitchurch Heritage Centre has a large collection of archives and artefacts relating to the town and its hinterland. The artefacts are the 3D part of the collection and the archives are the historical paper records.
The Whitchurch Collection consists of more than 5,000 items. Since 2008 a team of volunteers has been working behind the scenes cataloguing these artefacts and archives. The information has been entered into collection management software which can now be searched by the general public on this website.
Use the search box at the top of the page to search the collection, just type in a name, street, date, or event to see what material we have relating to your search. For more detailed searches there is an advanced facility.
Many of the artefacts and archives are on display in themed exhibitions, some of which are described below.
The old Whitchurch Museum had many examples of local archaeology in their collection. We have loaned a number of these items back from Shropshire Museum Service and they are on display in our Archaeology cabinet.
These artefacts include a Samian ware pottery bowl found in Yardington, a mirror found in Sedgeford and a burial urn found in Edgeley Road.
World War 1 Campaign medals
Victory medal and ribbon for Captain John German Harrison 32nd Trench Mortar Battery, Royal Field Artillery. Died of wounds 11.4.1918 aged 27
John German Harrison was born in Whitchurch in 1891. He was the eldest son of John German and Emma Harrison of Cloverfields, Chester Road, Whitchurch. John was educated at Shrewsbury School and studied music in Berlin and America. He arrived back in United Kingdom in January 1915 and enlisted.
Captain Harrison was awarded the Campaign Medals (British War Medal and Allied Victory Medal). Whitchurch Museum was lucky enough to purchase the latter at auction.
British War Medal and ribbon for Pte Frederick Ankers 11458 KSLI. He was one of five brothers who enlisted in the Army during WW1, four of whom survived
Frederick was the eldest son and second of six children born to John and Charlotte Ankers. In 1919 he married May Williamson at Whitchurch, Shropshire and together they had two children, Frederick G and Elizabeth M.
In 1891 Frederick was living with his parents and three siblings in Sherrymill Hill, Whitchurch, Shropshire. By 1901 he was living and working in Oldcastle near Malpas, Cheshire. Ten years later he was living at 14b Dodington, Whitchurch, Shropshire with his mother and youngest brother.
A photograph of the switchboard at the old Post Office triggered off research and a subsequent display relating to the Royal Mail in the town.
Many visitors to the Museum ask about the canal. We created a display using photographs both from our collection and that of Whitchurch History and Archaeological Group.