Whitchurch Dairy Farmers’ Association
This organisation was formed in January 1889 by local farmers, tradesmen, butchers and cheese-factors. It embraced an area of fifteen miles around Whitchurch.
The first cheese fair held under the auspices of the Dairy Farmers’ Association was on 22nd May 1889 and was very well supported. One hundred and fifteen lots of cheese were entered into the show, the total weight of entries being over forty tons.
Annual Dairy shows were also held by the association which were the highlight of the cheesemakers’ year. Many prizes were available for competitors to win, as can be seen from the 1889 advert below.
Whitchurch Museum has recently acquired a silver-plated trophy awarded to Mr Dutton of Ash Wood in 1923 for its collection.