12 St Mary’s Street
(Grade II listed building)
This property was constructed as a Wesleyan chapel in 1810, the land having been purchased the previous year. The building is two storeys high with a hipped slate roof. Three bays face St Mary’s Street and five bays face Bluegates.
By 1825 the chapel was licenced to perform wedding ceremonies. When a new Methodist chapel was constructed on St John’s Street in 1879 the congregation from St Mary’s Street moved there.
Trade directories of 1883 list the occupier of the building to be H.H. Etches, auctioneer. However, by 1901 it was marked on Ordnance Survey maps as Whitchurch post office.
In 1997 the site was bought, using Heritage Lottery money, for the housing of Whitchurch Heritage Centre.