Old Market & Bank Chambers
Situated on the corner of St Mary’s Street and High Street this Grade II listed building has played a significant part in the history of the town.
The property was originally built in 1781, being designed as a market hall on the ground floor with a town hall above. It served that purpose until 1877 when the Midland Banking Company took out a lease on part of the ground floor. There were numerous changes of use until 1917 when Barclays Bank took over the building.
This two-storey red brick building with sandstone dressings has three distinct arches facing the High Street. It is believed that these would have originally opened directly onto the street. The English Heritage listing describes the frontage as “a three bay round-arched arcade with stumpy Tuscan columns”.