Whitchurch Model Laundry
In 1909 Edward Gambrell of Northampton identified a lack of laundry facilities in the town and set up a business in Egerton Road, Whitchurch. It was initially called Whitchurch Model Laundry but later became part of the Laundrycraft Group.
In the early days washing was collected in baskets using a one horse van. This was soon joined by a motor van supplied by the Whitchurch firm of J.S. Hopley, apparently the first commercial vehicle in the town. By 1984 the laundry owned 96 vehicles.
Washing was returned to the customer not only clean but also ironed. In 1937 the company expanded to do dry-cleaning as well.