The Crewe to Shrewsbury line was the first railway track to pass through Whitchurch in 1858.
The next line to be built was the Oswestry, Ellesmere & Whitchurch Railway which was completed in 1863
This was followed by a period of enthusiastic proposals for linking Whitchurch with Wrexham, Connor’s Quay, Mold, Newcastle under Lyme and Market Drayton. The company planning this line was the Potteries Junction Railway Company and would have involved building two viaducts in the town. One would have crossed Watergate Street and the second was required to cross the canal.